What to Do

Candle and Rose

What You Need To Know In Times Of Bereavement

If death occurs at home

When death takes place at home there is usually a kind friend, neighbour or relative able to attend to duties in the sick room.

Inform the doctor

As soon as possible inform the doctor that death has occurred. He/she may write out the Medical Certificate of Death when he/she visits the house, or may request you attend the surgery for this purpose.

When death occurs in hospital

When death happens in hospital the procedure is very similar. Apply to the hospital for the Medical Certificate of Death and not your family doctor.

The coroner

In cases where the death has been reported to the Coroner the procedure is somewhat different. The Coroner and his officers are working in your interest. No doctor will issue a Medical Certificate of Death. This will be sent by the Coroner to the Registrar’s Office in the district where the death occurred, after contact has been made with the Coroner’s office.

Simply contact our friendly team on 01508 494434 to find out more about our services. or email.

How To Register A Death

  • Who can Register

  • 1 Close relative of deceased
  • 2. Relative in attendance during last illness
  • 3. A relative living in the district where death occurred
  • 4. A person present at death
  • 5. The person causing the disposal
  • Documents Required

  • 1 Medical Certificate of Death
  • 2. Medical Card if available or
  • 3. Birth Certificate & information regarding date of birth
  • Information required to Register

  • 1 Date and place of death
  • 2. Full name of deceased (maiden name if applicable)
  • 3. Date and place of birth
  • 4. Occupation and home address
  • 5. If married, full name and occupation of surviving spouse


Disposal Certificate for the funeral director, Social Security Certificate to be handed in at the D.W.P. Offices with any pension books, Copies of Entry of Death for bank, insurance, solicitors

How To Obtain Probate

  • What is Probate?

    When someone dies somebody has to deal with their estate (the money, property and possessions left) by collecting in all the money, paying any debts and distributing the estate to those entitled. The Probate Registry issues the document which is called A GRANT OF REPRESENTATION.
  • There are three types of grant.

  • 1 Probate issued to one or more of the executors named in the will.
  • Letters of Administration (with will) issued when there is a will, but no executor named or unable to deal with the estate.
  • Letters of Administration issued when the deceased has not made a will or it is not valid.

Why is a grant necessary?

Organisations holding money in the deceased’s name need to know to whom the money is to be paid. The distribution of the estate is the responsibility of the person named on the deed.

Is grant always needed?

A grant is sometimes not needed if the deceased’s money will be released without the holder seeing a grant, when the amount held is small and there are no complications.

Consult a Solicitor

In most circumstances, it is advisable for you to consult a solicitor both to relieve you of many worries and to take control of wills, problems of intestacy, outstanding debts, grants and letters of administration. A solicitor could save you a great deal of unnecessary trouble and eventually save you money. If known that a will was made, it is important that the contents be ascertained as soon as possible after death as it may contain instructions regarding the funeral arrangements. A will may be among personal papers, with the bank or solicitor for safe keeping. If a solicitor has been consulted by the deceased in the recent past it is important that you contact them without delay.

We are members of the National Association of Funeral Directors